One ingredient I incorporate into almost every dinner I cook is avocado. In addition to being delicious, avocados benefit your body in so many ways.
The finicky fruit can be frustrating to diners as it can sometimes be hard to tell if they are ripe enough to eat or are past their prime. A simple trick is to check under the stem. If it comes off easily and you can see green in its place, the avocado is ready to eat.
For those of us on the East Coast, avocados are in season now, so I am sharing some of the reasons you should add a few slices to your sandwich, salad or smoothie today.
- This "healthy fat" food helps lower bad cholesterol and improves cardiovascular health
- Loaded with fiber, avocados keep you full and control your appetite
- Their thick skin blocks pesticides from reaching the edible center
- High levels of Vitamins A & E as well as antioxidants prevent the growth of cancer cells
- Monounsaturated fats maintain moisture in your epidermal level, improving skin's appearance
Ok, who wants guacamole now?